Monday, June 17, 2013

An introduction or something.

I've wanted to start a "makeup blog" for awhile but didn't really know how to go about it. I'm kind of shy about taking pictures of myself and all that junk, but at the same time, I've got TONS of stuff I'm constantly trying and complaining/raving about to people who might be interested. Which is only ever like two people. I know there's people out there that get it and I'm not THAT weird, so I figured what the hell.

Ever since I was seventeen, I've spent spare change (bones....I think dollars should be bones, its fun to say) on foundations to hopefully match and cover my pale acne prone skin, mascaras, concealers, blush to bring said pasty skin to life, etc...so I've learned a lot from all this experimenting.

Then the red lipstick obsession happened sometime in late high school. There went some more bones hoping to find the perfect matte red to turn me into Kelsey von Teese.

Then I discovered the wonders of youtube tutorials.

Then I began to research horror movie special effects sometime when I was 17. I remember reading that Lon Chaney used piano wire to disfigure his face for the most realistic skeletal effect in The Phantom of the Opera (1925)..



Holy shite. People had to have been crapping themselves back then.

Then I became fascinated by Nosferatu, my favorite movie monster of all time. I don't know who the makeup artist was. Back in the silent era, there were very few makeup artists. If there were some involved with a film, they were never credited. ): 



I read about Jack Pierce and his work on Boris Karloff for Frankenstein and from then on I was obsessed with movie monster makeup. I hope to be able to do it "professionally" someday. I want to make people pretty, and make others grotesquely hideous. Hence the name gloss and gore! (Man, blog names are hard to come up with. It's cheesey no matter what you do).

Other than makeup and horror films, I love video games, animals, music, and comic books. I'll try to keep it nice and varied on here. It'll be fun. (:

No comments:

Post a Comment